Electric Dreamstate

IconSomewhere, out there, there's a Daniel "Thomas" Kaszor waiting to be rescued

Wii Virtual-Console Mini-Reviews

You may have noted that this blog has gotten a whole lot nerdier in the last little bit. That's probably not going to change. However, I am, generally, trying to write most of these entries so that people who know little or nothing about videogames can understand them and appreciate them.

I already talked about Sonic. Here are some reviews of other games I downloaded onto my Wii.


F-Zero
System: Super Nintendo
Genre: Racing

F-Zero came out around the launch of the SNES and blew away pretty much every racing game that had come before it. Using "mode 7" graphics (essentially something the SNES did to rotate 2D images to make them into a quasi 3D plane), F-Zero gave a real sense of motion. And it was fast. So, very fast.

Now, fifteen years later, it still plays fairly well, though 3D graphics have advanced the racing genre more than any other and it shows in a quasi 2D game like F-Zero. And, though the racing aspect of the game is still fun, there is nothing to unlock, and the courses get hard much to quickly. F-Zero's spiritual sequel, Mario Kart was a better game because in addition to having the Mario characters it also added weapons and the ability to play 2-player.

Was it worth 8 bucks US?: Only if you have feelings of nostalgia towards it, or are interested in the history of racing games, or are really hard up for a racing game.


Bonk's Adventure
System: TurboGrafx-16
Genre: Platformer

This is another artifact from the late '80s early '90s that I had to try out because I couldn't play it on my SNES back in the day. Much like Sonic it seems to rip Super Mario Bros. off fairly heavily. Unlike Sonic, it isn't that fun to play. Yep.

Was it worth 6 bucks US?: Only as a historical footnote.


Ice Hockey
System: Nintendo Entertainment System
Genre: Hockey

Ah, the eternal question: fatties versus skinnies. If you haven't played the NES classic Ice Hockey here it is in a nutshell: You must play as one of several countries hockey teams in a match of simple four on four hockey. Each team is made up of any combination of fast "skinnies", jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none "mediums", and powerful "fatties". Of course no one ever plays as mediums or even mixes and matches their teams at all. It's always all "fatties" or all "skinnies".

Ice Hockey actually does stand up in that it replicates not so much the game of hockey as it does those hockey-boards with the players all on twisty turn spinner things. You know what I'm talking about. And it plays much better with two people. By the way: "fatties" for the win.

Was it worth 5 bucks US?: Yeah, actually. It's quite fun.


Gunstar Heroes
System: Genesis
Genre: Shooter/Platfomer

This is one of those classics that no one actually played, for whatever reason, but the small number of people who did absolutely swear by. I was fully expecting to be underwhelmed by the game, as many of these classics-that-no-one-has-played end up having a slough of neat ideas and then falling flat when criteria like "fun" or "playability" are factored in. Boy was I wrong. This game is totally boss.

Gunstar Heroes isn't really like any other game. It's sort of a hybrid between a Shoot 'em up (or shmup as they have become known) and a Mario style platformer. There are definitely elements of Contra in there too (it was made by the guys who made Super Contra, except you only have one life, but you don't die after one hit.

All I know is that it's amazing. This is the most fun I've had with an old-school game (that I hadn't played before) in a long time, and I'm still amazed at how well something this old can make me smile and go "damn that's cool". I think specifically when I first got to the level two boss "Seven Force" which is a series of seven very creative boss fights all in a row.

Was it worth 8 bucks US?: It's probably worth closer to 20 or 25 even. An amazing game.

Next up: a review of Zelda.

 
 
 
 

Post a Comment 2 comments:

Tonka Time said...

At first, I read Gunstar Heroes as Guitar Heroes and I'm like, you mean You can play Guitar Heroes on the Wii (somehow ...) RAD! I heard GREAT things about Guitar Heroes.

Then, I was severely disappointed. Nonetheless, we need to set up a Wii date now that I'm back in town. I look forward to getting my first Wii (tennis) elbow.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 3:04:00 PM

Ryan said...

Ice Hockey was the most nostalgic thing I have bought off the VC yet.

My brother and I have spent hours upon hours playing that game. It even kept our NES out even after we got a Genesis. It went away as soon NHL '94 came out.

I think the only games that could top it for me are SMB3, Ninja Turtles: The Arcade Game, or Mega Man 2.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006 9:48:00 PM

Post a Comment